In these harsh economic times, many retirees seek part-time work after leaving their full-time career. Whether it’s to supplement your retirement income or just to stay busy and active, here are eight great part-time jobs for retirees.
1. Retail. Many seniors opt to work in retail after retirement. If there’s a grocery store or retail shop you frequent, it won’t hurt to ask if they’re hiring.
2. Bookkeeping. If you have the financial know-how and certification to be a bookkeeper, this could be a good option. Many small businesses can’t afford to hire a bookkeeper full-time, so it’s an ideal choice for someone who only wants to work in blocks at a time.
3. Tax preparation. Again, if you have the financial know-how, accounting firms are always looking for extra help during tax season.
4. Personal and home health care. This is a fast-growing field, and hours depend on the clientele. You might need proper certification, but requirements vary from position to position.
5. Personal assistant. The good thing about this position is that formal training is not needed. If you are a self-starter and can assist someone — whether it be a busy mom or an entrepreneur — with everyday tasks, this can be very rewarding work.
6. Tour guide. Tour guide work is often seasonal, but it could be a good option for those who want to apply their knowledge and interests to a work experience. Wineries, museums, historical sites, and even factories are just a few of the places that offer tour guide positions.
7. Driver. If you are able and enjoy driving, this is an ideal position for you. There are numerous possibilities, from special event limo drivers and shuttle services to school bus drivers. Flexible working hours are a huge perk of this field, but a clean driving record is important.
8. Nonprofits. Nonprofits tend to appreciate people looking for part-time work, as they often cannot afford to hire full-time employees. Additionally, mature workers will often bring more knowledge and experience to the table.
These suggestions are just the tip of the ice berg in the part-time job market, so go explore and find your perfect part-time job!